In my early days of typeface design (1989), I learnt to design on tracing paper, based on calligraphy stabilisation. Later, after several years at a design agency (Dragon Rouge) as Type director, I developed faster method to draw letterings, logotypes, small alphabets. At the time I started my letterforms at around 2cm high for caps, then enlarged to 10 cm for the last final drawing. This step was necessary at the time of Ikarus because of the digiziting tablet.
Here above, I found an old final drawing at 9 cm of some caps for Apolline, designed probably in 1992-93.
Then, the only difference with final Bézier version (in transparent red) was the final serif on the E removed later.